Friday, January 30, 2015

I can't get Mac Studio Fix Powder Foundation to work for me



While I'm doing book reviews and other booky stuff, every now and then I like to throw in a non-book related post since this is Deanna's World and my world is much bigger than just books and this did start out as a makeup blog. :-) That said ...

Mac Studio Fix and I are not friends. Really, I've tried but we just can't seem to get along.

I have read reviews and watched Youtube videos about it and because of the hype surrounding it, decided to try it out. I have also watched numerous tutorials on how to make it work for you and for it to look great and none of the things I've tried have worked for me.

First off, I don't know why people keep saying it has great coverage. It doesn't for me and I've used a fluffy brush and a dense powder brush with it. The only thing I haven't tried is packing it on with the sponge that comes with it. Perhaps, that should be my next move.

Then, there's the fact that it just does not seem to like to apply well on my skin. I've tried it on bare skin after moisturizer and got barely there coverage. I've tried it with a BB cream as a base and it seemed to do okay but looked really cakey, although I have to say this time the coverage seemed pretty good though I still did not like the way it looked. Finally, I tried it with a primer and I have to say this seemed to have worked the best. I guess I just need to make sure I have a primer on before putting the powder on.

As to the finish, I find it very powdery and cakey looking. I watched a video by gossmakeupartist
talk about making it look like skin by spraying a makeup setting spray or something like Mac Fix Plus on it, but that didn't really work as well for me as I would have liked, though it did seem to help a bit. I have also tried dusting a thing layer of Mac Mineralized Skin Finish Natural on it and that seems to be the best result that I am getting.


After all that, am I going to keep trying with the product or am I going to chuck it out?

Well, I can't bring myself to chuck it out because that thing is bloody expensive and I paid a lot of money for it. It just seems like such a waste, so I think I will probably persevere with it.

I think the best technique I have found to work with it is to apply primer first, then buff it into the skin with a powder brush (like the Elf powder brush) and then apply a light dusting of Mac Mineralized Skin Finish Natural over it with a fluffy powder brush. It's not ideal, but that seems to be the best I can do with it.


I have yet to try the sponge that comes with it and perhaps I will. I'm going out tonight for dinner so I might try it then and see how it goes. Maybe, I will love with with the sponge. Who knows?!?

Do you have a product that just does not seem to want to cooperate with you but because you've paid a lot of money for it, you just want to try to make it work? Tell me about it in the comments below!

UPDATE: I've applied the Mac Studio Fix Powder with the sponge it came with, on top of a primer, then set it with the Mac Mineralized Skin Finish Natural. It looks decent enough but very powdery and slightly cakey looking but it's the best I've had in terms of application of it. I've included a photo I took of how I look with it on (no filter). You can see where a lot of the pigmentation on my cheek is still peeking through. I'm going to say this gives me light to medium coverage. I'm also not digging the powdery look although that doesn't come across as much with the photo. What do you think?



Find me around SOCIAL MEDIA:
Deanna's World Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/langshipley
Deanna's World blog: http://deannasworld1.blogspot.com.au/
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/langshipley (this is the best way to reach me, I will always respond to this the fastest).
Twitter: @langshipley https://twitter.com/langshipley
Instagram: @langshipley http://instagram.com/langshipley
Pinterest: https://pinterest.com/langshipley/
Cooking blog: http://dazinthekitchen.blogspot.com.au/


No comments:

Post a Comment