Saturday, October 10, 2015

Beauty Bites #1 - a bit of everything

Welcome to the first of my Beauty Bites series, where I provide a short review of a beauty product, be it - haircare, skincare or makeup. I'm not sure how often I will be uploading this feature when I collect enough products to talk about, which I'm aiming at three to five. I hope you enjoy this series. Let me know if there is anything you'd like me to try and review. I will post this either on a Saturday or a Sunday, depending on when the fancy takes me, but it will usually be a weekend day for it so as to not interfere with the booky stuff during the week.


Real Techniques Sculpting Brush

rtbstarstar 2 of 5 stars

Featuring a wide, angled head, specifically designed to help create defined contours, the sculpting brush is a must-have in your makeup bag to enhance your natural features, or to modify the shape and look of your face.

  • use with cream or powdered bronzers to define and contour the hollows of the cheeks
  • apply a light sweep of blush for a soft rosy finish

I have mixed feelings about this brush. Yes, it is very soft and very dense, and when I first got it, I thought it would be perfect for laying down my contour powder.

The first few times I used it, I really liked it, but after a while, I found to to be too dense and stiff to work with. It does not blend out the product easily and because it is so dense and stiff, it will move your foundation you have laid down around under the contour product. I did not like that about this brush - the fact it moved my foundation around after it set.

I think I am going to set this aside in lieu of a softer brush for contouring, such as an angled blush brush which is what I was previously using until something better comes along. I'm going to try this brush as a foundation brush though because I think the density of the brushes and how soft they are would work well for that. It reminds me of the Real Techniques Expert Face Brush but with a different shape. I would like to try the Nars Ita brush but I have yet to take the plunge and splurge on it.

Have you used this brush? What do you think of it? If not for contour, what else do you use it for?



Aldi Protane Naturals Morrocan Argan Oil Dry Shampoo

rtbstarstarstarstar 4 of 5 stars

Protane Naturals Moroccan Argan Oil Dry Shampoo instantly refreshes and revitalises hair without water. The unique forumal refreshes your hair between washes by removing oil and odour while creating volume. Infused with Moroccan Argan Oil to condition and provide shine.

When I saw this dry shampoo at Aldi, I knew I had to try it. Here's the thing about Aldi, if you see a product you like, grab it quick. If it's something you use as a staple, take it home, try it right away and then go back to stock up because once it's gone, it's gone.

The first time I tried this dry shampoo, I did not like it. It came out feeling a bit wet or so I thought, but I persevered and gave it a shot anyway. I applied this throughout my second day hair, and while it went on clear and seemingly wet, after you leave it for a while, it dries up and soaks up the oil in your hair. If you apply too much, you will see some white residue on dark hair but only a little. Unlike some other untinted dry shampoo I've used, this one leaves very little white cast to dark hair.

I was uncertain about it on first application, but after trying it for a few days, I great to really, really like it. It absorbed oil very well. It left very little residue on my hair and my hair still felt like hair. It provides a little volume to the hair, but not a lot. I don't need a lot of volume in my hair anyway since I have very straight hair and tend to wear it straight, so I wasn't fussed about a lot of volume.

I particularly like the fact that two days of using this dry shampoo had much less product build up on my hair than when I was using the Batiste Dry Shampoo, which up till now has been my go to dry shampoo. Usually, after a few days of Batiste Dry Shampoo my hair would start to feel stiff and gunky. This does not do it at all.

I think I will go out on a limb and say I like this better than my beloved Batiste Dry Shampoo. If only it was not a special offer at Aldi and was a permanent product.

You also can't beat the price. It's $4.99 a bottle to the $12.99 for the brown tinted Batiste Dry Shampoo I usually use.

If you see this at your local Aldi, give it a try.



Ego Sunsense SPF 50+ Anti Aging Face - 100ml


rtbstarstarstarstar 4 of 5 stars

It’s dual purpose action – provides sun protection and helps reduce visible signs of premature ageing. Designed specifically to help combat premature ageing due to sun exposure. It contains the alpha hydroxy acid (AHA) which helps to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. SunSense Anti-ageing Face combines the anti-ageing benefits of AHA with SPF 50+, broad spectrum protection, leaving your skin feeling fresh and youthful.

It is suitable for everyday use.

Benefits:

  • Contains vitamins E & B3
  • Moisturising base, suitable for use under make-up
  • Free of fragrance, PABA and lanolin
  • Dermatologically tested
  • An SPF 50+ sunscreen can reduce sunburning UV light reaching your skin by approximately 50% when compared to an SPF 30+ sunscreen1, if used correctly.
  • Contains Nicotinamide - helping to maintain the normal skin barrier function and Vitamin E, an antioxidant beneficial in improving the appearance of skin tone and texture.

I cannot begin to tell you how glad I am to finally be done with my bottle of this lotion / sunscreen. I'm not complaining about it, in fact, I liked it a lot, but dang, it was a large bottle. It takes a long time to get through 100ml of lotion and I was quite liberal with it. I used it on my face, neck and décolletage.

This is a lovely lotion. It's got a great sunscreen with SPF 50+ and I do like a high SPF in my face lotion! It was also very moisturizing. This anti aging version of the lotion was a little thicker and richer than the regular face lotion with SPF.

It went on very smoothly and absorbed quickly, and sat well under makeup. I never had any problems with my foundation not applying well over this lotion, although I always use a primer between my lotion and foundation.

I would definitely repurchase this product, seeing as how this is my second bottle of the lotion, although the first one was just the regular face lotion with SPF. I like them both. I will probably wait a little while before repurchasing though because I have other face lotions with SPF I need to use up first. This will definitely make it back into the rotation, especially considering it is very affordable, works well and easily accessible to purchase.



Well, this is it. My first installment of Beauty Bites. A little bit of everything. I hope you enjoyed it and will come back for other installments of the series.


Find Deanna around SOCIAL MEDIA:
blogger  blogger  rss  facebook  twitter  instagram  email  youtube  pinterest  google+  goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment