Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Manview observations #2: The Heat is in the Hair Colour (Apparently)

Here's another cracker of a  Manview Observation aka observations of the romance genre from Manview Steve. I had no idea hair colour was such an issue. Half the time, I don't even notice the heroine's hair color. :-/

Redheaded girl
Photo credit: ikopix via Visualhunt.com / CC BY-NC-SA

I am reading my fourth romance novel so far and noticed something similar about each novel (in addition to to the hero being impossible to exist in real life).  They all have golden red hair.  Why is this? Does the hair colour crank up the heat rating (# of flames)?  Maybe, but I like a little diversity and strawberry blond, golden red, rustic peach, or whatever they call it is not diversity! Give me a blond, a brunette or a raven-black haired heroine! I am sick of the redheads. (Yes, and thanks to the authors for making it even more real by letting us know the patch between their legs has not been shaven to prove they are natural sunflower red on top!)  I mean, I know I certainly could not have sex unless I had proof my heroine was 'au natural' with peach berry jam hair on top. Give me a break!

Girl holding peach
Photo via VisualHunt.com

One book I read was a historical romance set 300 years ago, another one a zombie apocalyptic romance, the third a politician taking advantage of his young intern, and the fourth a delta force team battling it out in cowboy land with the bad guys.  And every one of the heroines was a blondish redhead!  I would rather have my heroine bald, with a crewcut or with blue hair than have to hear another description of a flaming golden redhead!  Give me black, brown or even no hair. But then that may not help the flame rating the way being a golden redhead does! I am rejecting the next book offered up for review if the heroine is another freaking peach redhead. A woman is hot because of the way she thinks and what she does; you do not need to prove she is hot by putting her hair on fire!

Girl with sparkler
Photo via Visualhunt.com

Well, what do you think? Has hair colour ever been a consideration for you? What's the most common hair color you've come across in a heroine?


Find Deanna around SOCIAL MEDIA:
blogger  blogger  rss  facebook  twitter  instagram  email  youtube  pinterest  google+  goodreads

18 comments:

  1. OMG! This is hilarious! And as a redhead, I've still only ever had one in my nine novels written thus far. Thanks for the observation. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This goes to show how little I observe hair color. I don't remember which of your heroine's is the redhead. I know Valla is blonde but that's because I only just finished reading the book.

      Delete
    2. It's Sorcha in Windburn. And unfortunately, I probably do describe her hair like a dark flame or something similar. But I never do point out whether the carpets match the drapes. Steve can be proud of me there. ;)

      Delete
    3. LOL at the "carpet matches the drapes". :-D Oh my, that's funny. Now I'm going to check each time!

      Delete
  2. A good post you know I really don't mine what colour hair the heroine has for me it is about connecting with the character and her personality but you do know now Steve that I will be taking more notice :)

    Have Fun
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here. I need to pay more attention.

      Delete
    2. Although I do notice if the description of the heroine is one hair color but they get the hair color wrong on the book cover.

      Delete
    3. Oh yes that does annoy me as well although once I start reading the book I normally put it behind me

      Have Fun
      Helen

      Delete
  3. There are too many redheads in romance, and Steve is right about the downstairs hair: when she's a redhead, it has to be mentioned. And that was hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it only mentioned when it's a redhead? Does it get mentioned for other hair colors? Ugh. I need to pay more attention to these things.

      Delete
    2. I have to say that it is only mentioned when a red head is involved :)

      Have Fun
      Helen

      Delete
    3. I wonder why it's necessary for a redhead in particular?

      Delete
  4. Maybe because a lot of people dye their hair read other than that I have not idea but it has been around for a long time :)

    Have Fun
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve said the same thing. That it is because natural redheads are rare.

      Delete
    2. Yet I have a red headed daughter a red headed grand daughter and a red headed grandson :)

      The two girls are very fiery :)

      Have Fun
      Helen

      Delete
  5. Funny post and so true. I love writing redheads because in real life my red-headed friends are firey characters. But,as usual, Steve is right, the drapes do get a mention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why in particular do redheads get a mention down below but not other hair colors? Is there are reason? I can't say I've noticed it before, but I think now I will. My Steve is a very insightful guy, isn't he? :-)

      Delete
  6. Red is the new blonde. Used to be the sexy heroines had blonde hair, now red is the standard. (I'm seeing more redheads on TV too). Slim heroines used to be the norm. Now it's BBW. Standards change.

    I always alternate hair color with my heroines. Usually their hair doesn't matter to the story, but occasionally it does (like Illumina in Captured by the Cyborg).

    ReplyDelete